South Africa’s internationally renowned choreographer, Dada Masilo, presents her fearless re-imagining of the iconic classic, Giselle.
Opening in a lively South African village, Masilo’s Giselle tells the story of a trusting peasant girl who is thrust into a world of betrayal and shame when her lover rejects her. Spurned by her family and killed by heartbreak, Giselle returns from the grave as a supernatural being, bent on revenge.
Performing in the title role, Masilo brings her stunning high-speed style to the stage, fusing ballet, contemporary and traditional Tswana dance. Powered by a hauntingly beautiful score by South African composer Philip Miller who combines classical strings with African percussion and voice, this is Giselle, but not as you know it.
“Dada Masilo’s reinterpretation of Giselle breathes new life into the classic”
“A rare quality of spell-binding intensity”
“Exhilarating. Bold, brazen, unapologetic and absolutely enrapturing.”
“A marvel of intelligence and dance craftsmanship. Stunningly conceived and executed.”
- Fri 4 - Sat 5 Oct 2019 7.30pmSadler’s Wells London
- Tue 8 - Wed 9 Oct 2019 7.30pmTheatre Royal and Royal Concert Hall Nottingham
- Fri 11 - Sat 12 Oct 2019 7.30pmAlhambra Theatre Bradford
- Tue 15 - Wed 16 Oct 2019 7.30pmBirmingham Hippodrome
- Tue 22 - Wed 23 Oct 2019 8.00pmThe Lowry Salford Quays
- Fri 25 - Sat 26 Oct 2019 7.30pmMilton Keynes Theatre
- Tue 29 - Wed 30 Oct 2019 7.30pmBrighton Dome
- Fri 1 - Sat 2 Nov 2019 7.30pmMarlowe Theatre Canterbury